Saturday 25 October 2008

Public ethics - a messy business

I've just completed a 3 day course on HIV prevention amongst sex workers, IV drug users, and men who have sex with men - and it's given me a lot to think about - in particular on the issue of legislation.

Let's take, for example, IV drug use. No government would be "proud" of having IV drug users around, and it is universally regarded as an undesirable practice. However, evidence has demonstrated complete prohibition of IV drug use doesn't really work that well, and has the downstream effects of causing the social marginalization and isolation that leads to high -risk behavioral patterns in that population. Services that would actually help these drug users cannot function effectively, as their target population is essentially underground, scattered, and fragmented.

On the other hand, by legalizing drug use, as in Victoria, we give organisations the opportunities to gather and target this particular population, providing ready access to support programmes and services that not only minimise the harm of IV drug use, but also facilatate their entry into rehabilitation programmes.

This approach presupposes a particular interaction between LAW and MORALITY. It suggests that the legal acceptance of a particular behavior does not necessary correlate with a moral acceptance of that same behavior. The corollary of that is that our moral convictions does not necessarily need translate into a corresponding legal stance on the issue.

This, obviously, flies in the face of what so many of us assume about the nature of legislation, and the role of our Christian values in the interaction with greater society. It did for me, and has now led me to rethink and reflect on my own ethical system, and how a public health physician (an area I'm working towards) engages in policy formation that affects an entire non-Christian community. SHOULD the law reflect and ENFORCE morality by force? And on what basis can we actually enforce a SPECIFIC brand of morality - religious or not (eg: why don't we take pedophilia off the criminal code)?

These are difficult issues, issues that have been around since the Church started getting involved in Roman politics. But they are also crucial issues worth reflecting on. I'll post more as I sort out my thoughts ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks